Sunday, February 26, 2017

The Most Perfect, feat. Frank Lloyd Wright

Like a lot of places at this end of the world, it got a little bit freakishly warm here in Rochester, and the sun came out and the birds sang and the daffodils poked their shoots up through the mulchy leaves, and hoo!  It was such a balm.  Today it is slightly more Februaryish, which is just as well, because I finished this the other day, and I am glad for a chance to wear it.  
It would be hard for me to overstate how much I love this sweater.  As a knitter of garments, I sometimes veer off into the colorful and the artsy and the only vaguely wearable, but really, most of the time, I am looking for a finished object that I can actually put on in the morning, and which will feel great and look good and match my other clothes and stuff.  I also want it to be fun to work on, if possible, and I kind of want to be able to use some of the yarn I already have lying around here, because I really have a lot of yarn, which presumably I bought it because I liked it, so it shouldn't be that hard to figure out what to make with it, but I feel it can be a challenge to put all these things together.  I spend hours trolling around Ravelry for patterns.  Once I choose one, I ask myself:  Will it fit me?  (That is, will I have to tug at it all day to keep it in place?  Is it long enough?  Roomy enough where I need it to be?  Will I have to make a million modifications?). Will it flatter?  (I have huge shoulders and a very long torso). Will the pattern + yarn make a nice fabric?  Will it drape/hang nicely?  Will I wear this color?  (Does it fit into my wardrobe?)  Will I enjoy knitting this?  (Is the pattern well-written, free of errors?).  Will this finished fabric feel nice next to my bare flesh? (So, not alpaca or mohair).  Does this design fit my personal style (trickier to answer, that one.) More simply, Do I have enough yarn in the stash right this minute to make this (and also, is it wound already) because I am into instant gratification and am also lazy.  All this is a fairly lengthy but enjoyable process for me.
I took a look in my closet the other day and wondered why I've never made the charcoal gray wool turtleneck I've always wanted/needed.  Why haven't I done this?  I have had the yarn to knit this sweater for, hmm, I don't even know how long.  YEARS.  Maybe ten.  I can hardly believe that.  And the whole time I've been wanting the sweater.  What the heck?  It wasn't going to knit itself.  It was time.  
So this is (ohmygoshIloveitsomuch) September Morn, designed by Thea Colman.  It is everything I wanted it to be.  See all the above, and check the box for YES.  With the help of a long road trip, I knit this in one week, and wore it today on a properly February day, with biting wind in my eyeballs and tiny snow pellets smacking me in the face.  I love New York.  Feeling sluggish and stiff from months spent lounging beside the fireplace, we went for a walk, and it felt wonderful and hearty, and this Perfect Sweater kept me warm as toast.  
Okay, there is a slight dyelot problem in the yarn at the yoke.  This comes from my finding a little ball of leftovers (oh, right--this is Paton's Classic Worsted in Gray Mix) loafing in the scraps bin and, assuming like an idiot that it would match, splicing it in there for the sake of using it up.  Of course it was evening while I was doing that and didn't see the color difference until several hours and inches later, and I decided then that it wouldn't bother me, and it really doesn't.  The happiness endorphins bathing my nervous system due to the general perfection of this end result are preventing me from seeing that little stripe very much anyway.  I'll be more careful next time, though.
We walked in the East Avenue Historic District, among the millionaires' mansions.  I took off my coat,
Adjusted my bandana,
And said, "Hey, isn't that the Boynton House, designed and built by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1908?"  We were just strolling down East Boulevard, and there it was, a proper National Treasure.  That's two perfect things, I think.  

19 comments:

  1. It's a good 'un. I like the raglan seam detail. It turns it from grey to horay! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOur sweater is indeed a treasure, who cares about the dye lot mix up. I think it adds depth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is indeed a perfect sweater. The rib stitching at the top of the sleeves and the raglan patterning are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, perfect fit. I like the subtle pattern on the sleeves, only going down half way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfection indeed and the perfect fit too. A stunning design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That indead is a simply beautiful sweater. It fits you so well and looks really cosy and warm. If anyone points out the dye difference, just ask them to leave your personal space as they are way too close. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really fabulous! You have really nailed the fitting thing. I have the same problems. I always have to add length but the wide shoulder problem is more difficult to solve. My Dad used to say I had a swimmers shoulders which didn't really help my self esteem! Well done you! Sue Orves

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on finishing your beautiful sweater and it does look nice and warm. I cannot see what you are describing as a color change in the yoke so it must not be that bad. Nice to know it was made with Patons Classic Wool; I like that yarn. Winter has been weird here in Charlotte, North Carolina. We have been having record high temperatures for most of February. It will be our luck that we get snow in March.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you made the cowl/turtleneck shorter than the pattern calls for. I really like that look. Did you make mods? And I love that FLW house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did modify the neck--I just worked mine straight, casting on the same number as I wanted to have when the collar met the body, as indicated in the pattern, eliminating the decreases. I also wanted it to stand up, not fold over, so I only worked 5 1/2". :)

      Delete
  10. That is one beautiful sweater. I wish I had the talent to make things that fit so absolutely perfectly. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beauteous and fits you perfectly. If you hadn't mentioned the dye lot? I couldn't see it at all and I have my glasses on! lol Really a lovely job and you don't have huge shoulders!!! I do like the neighbourhood you were walking in and oh, was catdog with you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. YES! That's the way I'm going to look at it. XO

      Delete
  13. Beautiful sweater and fits you just right... of course you are so slim and trim, I'm sure anything would look fantastic on you... I'm jealous... this pattern is yummy. I never noticed a dye lot difference and even once you brought it up, I still don't see it! So that's a good thing right? You are amazing with how fast you make a sweater.. I've tried crocheting in the car while it's going down the road, but it makes me carsick. Darn. That would surely pass the time. I crochet now.. used to knit when I was in my teens and made sweaters and sold them to buy my first horse. Just a tidbit FYI. I never could seem to finish knitted projects (or crocheted ones either if too large). Your process to find a pattern made me laugh.. I do that when I'm sewing clothes for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hooray for using up the stash and a fantastic sweater pattern. It fits you beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  15. gorgeous sweater! it's a darker gray than you usually knit up for yourself :))
    love it
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's funny to me that you say you have huge shoulders, because every single picture makes me think, "she has gorgeous shoulders!" Of course, that could be because you just know how to dress yourself to make them *look* that way, but I suspect they are, in reality, very lovely shoulders, made to look quite perfect in your beautifully (insanely fast) knitted sweaters.
    happy making ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete