Monday, March 20, 2017

Epistrophy, finished

Epistrophy is off the needles.  This pattern, by Kate Davies, from her beautiful book Yokes, has been in my mental queue ever since I saw it.  Love.  LOVE.  I want this cardigan to be a success so badly that I am still trying to convince myself.  That neckband, you guys.  All that knitting, and then those ten little ribbed rows using the wrong needle (my fault) at the bitter end.  It's causing the neckband to flare just enough to irritate me, and I'm not sure.  It's pretty, though!  It is too late to do anything about it now except worry, and worrying will get you nowhere, so I am saying that I don't mind the flaring.  I don't think.  It's a small enough part of the completed whole, and the rest of it is pretty great.  That yoke!  Hoo.    
It's such a good fit.  Perfect, really, everywhere else.  I don't care about the neckband.  I don't think.  I don't think I do.  
It's got a casualness about it I kind of like, actually.  The standup collar thing could be kind of good.  A feature, not a flaw, right?  Also, handily, it is cut off in almost all the photos because I told Doc to keep my face out of these shots--it was the weekend, and who wants to get all gussied up for having their picture on the internet on a Sunday?  Not me.  So you just have to mostly trust me that the neckline is flaring ever so gently.  Just ever so.  
There's one where you can see it.  That's okay, right?  A little tiny flare?  I don't care.  I don't think.  Otherwise, it's just so great!  What a good pattern, too.  The repeating, decreasing geometry at that yoke has my brain boggling.  I don't even know how anybody figures something like that out.  Kate Davies, you are so clever.  This sweater is knit in the round (good thing, too, as I have sworn a blood oath not to knit in pieces anytime soon) and then cut up the front with scissors (that's right, that's what I said!) with the button bands added at the very end.  
Kate recommended this pretty little ribbon detail, which covers up the hot mess I always leave behind when cutting open a steek.  I love this treatment of a cardigan front.  I might do this on all future cardigans.  Ribbon shop recommendations are heartily welcome.  
I used Fishermans' Wool for this, in "Oatmeal" and "Brown Heather".  The pattern calls for DK weight, and I would call Fisherman's Wool a light worsted, so I went down a needle size (to a US 3.  Small!  I know!) and it fits like a dream.  If I were at the precipice of the neckband right now, though, I'd drop down to a truly tiny needle and get that thing right, but since there isn't a thing to be done, I am saying I love it, and I will keep saying it.  I love it.  

26 comments:

  1. I love it too! You could always thread through some shearing elastic on the last few rows of the rib to flatten down the collar.. but you know, only if it was 'really' bothering you... Looks pretty darn caual to me. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on both counts the sweater is lovely, but elastic thread could solve your neckband concern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will join the chorus: I got on to write a comment about elastic thread, and see that it's already been written. :) Lovely! sarah@forrussia.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the queen of knitting sweaters. I wish I had learned when I was younger. I manage to knit socks, so that does make me happy, but I would love to be able to knit one sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first thought? Elastic thread. Seems to be the consensus. How do I know it would be a good fix for the flaring....exoerience😬. The sweater is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't that the worst when you love a finished object all but for one error that makes you love the whole thing a little less? Honestly though, I don't think I would have noticed the neckline unless it was pointed out. It's really not bad. And I wonder how it lays if you leave it unbuttoned?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel you. I always do the same that I keep trying to convince myself some small detail doesn't bother me when I know it does. I knitted Fintry from the same book and ran out of yarn at the last few rows and ended up with a too wide neckband. BUT! I managed to fix it later by crocheting a tight row of slip stitches at the top of the neckband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this cardigan, how about a clear press stud or snap fastener, the one you sew on by hand, in the top right hand corner (our right - your left).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too love Kate Davies. Her blog, designs and Kate herself are so inspirational. Unfortunately, however, unlike you I don't have the skill to knit any of her designs!

    I think the neckband is actually very flattering just the way it is?

    By the way, Kate has the loveliest shade cards for sale at the moment, take a look if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's gorgeous! And the collar gives it a bit of uniqueness! -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steph it's beautiful. Your knitting is so neat. Don't think I have the nerve to cut into knitting though. Love the ribbon detail on the inside of the band.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Add another running thread, here! Except, my suggestion would be to use some of the yarn itself and do a small running stitch along the edge, pull to gather just as much as you need and tie off.

    It's such a pretty sweater.

    M&J Trimming has loads of awesome ribbon!

    http://www.mjtrim.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. another beautiful cardigan! wow cutting into a sweater, Steeking? i couldn't do that, admire those who do. well done!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely beautiful, swoon.... Wish i could attempt this. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kate Davies has some wonderful ribbons in her shop. Generous length and reasonably priced, even with shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Knitting, i find, is like painting a room. You will always notice the paint drip that no one else does, your eye will always go to that spot....even though everyone else says "oh, oh, what a beautiful paint job" They don't even notice the "drip". That sweater is beautiful and to steek, oh lord i am so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another beautiful cardigan Kristen! Love that yoke. I didn't even notice the collar situation until you mentioned it. It doesn't distract from the finished piece at all. And it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful work! I read somewhere that you can spot shrink a knitted garment by dampening and using a hairdryer. No experience so I would try it on something old or a swatch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I second (third, tenth, whatever) the suggestion of elastic thread to draw in the bothersome neck edge. There is a very fine clear elastic thread that might be just the ticket. Or threading the edge with the same yarn, as suggested by someone else, would probably also work nicely. LOVELY sweater, and it fits so well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with the others.. I didn't notice it until you said something! (the neckband).... it is SO beautifully done and your stitches are SO even! I love the colors and the length.. and the yoke.. sigh. If the neckband does bother you (just a little bit) I agree with using the same yarn and stitching around it and pulling it up every so slightly.. being a seamstress for many years, I've had to do that with a blouse I made and the neckline was just too big and gaped open..... I would either take a few (indiscreet) tucks here and there or do the gather all around. I first thought of tucks for your sweater here and there, but the idea of gathering it slightly would also work (if it really does bother you a little!). I'm amazed at how fast you get these done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your sweater is absolutely beautiful but you seem a bit unhappy with it. Have you tried a row of slip stitch crochet at the top to bring it in.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your knitting is beautiful in everything you have made and this is outstanding with the design.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is fantastic. I just love it but if that neck bothers you how about a bit of elastic thread where it flares just to tighten things a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L.
    Truly ! And looks wonderful on you - Good job!

    ReplyDelete