Monday, March 27, 2017

My share of the sidewalk

  All of a sudden, it's one sweater a week around here.  Two things have been making that happen:  for one, my full-time job recently (and happily) became part-time, which has given me the gift of a whole bunch more hours in the week to do whatever pleases me.  (A second cup of coffee?  Don't mind if I do!  Naps?  Sure!) I'm hoping eventually to tackle a few non-yarn projects (eek, the garden) but lately the extra free time has mostly been spent with knitting, because (two:) there are so many gorgeous things out there to make, and I have a big yarn stash, and it's still cold here and I am in the throes of it.  
This is such a harmonious combination of yarn + pattern.  It is Sidewalk by Cristina Ghirlanda, knit (yes, in a week) in Jill Draper Makes Stuff Windham, in the beautifully purply, pinky blue-gray "Stone" colorway.  Windham is labeled "worsted" but I knit it at an aran gauge for this project, and it worked perfectly.  Windham has a crispy lightness that surprises, given that it is a many-plied, smooth yarn with 220 yards per 100 grams (uh oh, I think this is about "grist") much like what I think the Quince and Co. yarns are like.  Springy, cotton-soft, light as a feather, but smooth and round, for stitch definition.  It's the wooliest worsted-spun yarn ever.  How do they do that?  I don't know, but it's great.  It looks like Jill's Etsy shop is out of Windham right now, so you'll have to come with me to the Finger Lakes Fiber Festival in September to get some.  We'll eat Artichoke French, and Doc will wear his kilt--you can help me pick out my two fleeces!--Fiber Festival Day is one of my favorite days of the whole year.  
Spring seems to be taking a long time to arrive this year.  At least most of the snow has melted, fingers crossed it stays that way.  Meanwhile, I've got plenty to wear.  I promised myself I'd sew something today, though another pullover is just two sleeves away.  I know, it seems like madness to me, too.  

12 comments:

  1. Ohhh! Pretty! I spend a couple months every year in the NY southern tier. If I'm there this fall I'm planning on going to this festival! I wish I'd known about it last year, I'd have grabbed my good friend and driven up when we were looking for fun things to do 😄 So, maybe I'll see ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sweater, sometimes knitting just happens like that and then there are those times where it seems endless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous jumper! just put it in my favourites on Ravelry.
    wow getting a jumper a week done! that's awesome! i've managed one in 2 weeks (so long ago, before kids) & later i did them in a month, these days it's a lot longer due to stiff rheumatoid fingers.
    just love seeing what you get up to knitting!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. That yarn! It knit up beautifully. Keep going, your makes are a constant source of inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. So impressed with your productivity - I've been part-time for two years and it's great - hand problems almost fixed so hope to emulate you - stash is calling out. Really like the lines of this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colors - very springtime - looks pretty on you too.
    I do so enjoy seeing your projects. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I could put in an order, or three, your jumpers are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are saying that along with all the beautiful things you make, you have been working full time???!!! And along with everything else having a house, husband and family entails!

    I have been full of admiration of your beautiful 'makes' and your speed and motivation, but I am now speechless. If only I knew your secret....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you, and yes! I recently decided to trade money for time, and shaved three days off my work week--highly recommended, by the way. My secret for getting things done is really that I am obsessed with knitting and am never without it. I knit in the car while we run errands, and while I'm on the phone, and anytime there is a free moment. I have the mania. :D

      Delete
  9. I absolutely love that sweater. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous sweater! Just the perfect combination of style and comfort.

    ReplyDelete