Friday, June 2, 2017

Still Woolly

I think we go through this every year: as soon as the snow melts, I start moaning about how cold it is and how long it's taking for the [your flower here] to bloom.  In an uncharacteristic moment of wisdom and insight, though, this year I finally realized that Spring Is A Season Too, and sometimes, that means it is chilly.  Newsflash!  So my feet are still cold, and I am still wearing wool socks.  I made these using no kind of pattern, just some sport weight yarn and a colorwork design borrowed from my favorite book on the subject.  The yarn is Plymouth Galway Sport in Turtle Heather and Sand Heather.  They're thick and yummy, and will never fit in my shoes, but that is not what they're for.  
I worked like mad, too, trying to finish my Creative Year Project piece for May before May was over, and it was a squeaker.  May was "Self Portrait", and dang, it's hard trying to fit your whole self into one two-dimensional 6"x6" square of fabric.  I thought about it a lot, and changed my mind a bunch of times, and thought some more, and then finally made this.  My only finished sweater in May, in Koigu KPPPM, an improvised, self-drafted little number using about 5 meters of yarn on US0 needles.  I would totally wear that.  

11 comments:

  1. Brilliant!
    Winter just started. But 25℃ today ! :-( And no rain yet :-( :-(
    I long for spring, which I learnt that here is long and slow and quite cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those socks look really super and cosy, I totally love the self portrait. Impossible for you to create it without wearing one of your great knitwear projects. That's smart work incorporating two crafts in one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lf portrait is adorable!!!!!
    self.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those socks, I am always in awe of your sock knitting talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cozy, cozy socks. I love them. We're still sleeping under two quilts at night but the days are fairly warm. I love spring. I would rather have it than the hot, hot summer days.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed reading your last few posts tonight. The Donut story was especially tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that little portrait is gorgeous! You got me thinking what I would do if I had to do mine - and truly I have no idea.

    And those socks! I'm envious of anyone who can hand knit socks, just beautiful.

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your socks are beautiful. The accent of color work is just enough..love it. The self portrait is so cute! It made me chuckle. It's so original and charming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The stitching for the hair is spot on. I knew it was you straight away! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recognised you straight away :-)!

    ReplyDelete