Sunday, July 9, 2017

These Days

Hi there!  It is summer.  It kind of comes and goes this year, which, thinking back, is kind of how it always goes.  I don't know why I keep being surprised by that.  Last night was freeeeezing, and I doubled up on quilts and wool socks again, and had to shut all the windows, and now, today, well.  You can see how the catdog feels about it.  Warm, sunny, summertime.  The sky is the color of the couch.  Oh, right!  The couch!  I kept forgetting to tell you about it.  Okay, this is the Ecktorp sofa from Ikea, which we bought I think back in 2012, and I had two plain white slip covers for it.  (Guys, don't get a white couch without getting a spare slipcover.  Serious. What are you going to sit on while the only slipcover you have is soaking in OxiClean?) Anyway, after awhile, one slipcover had gotten pretty grubby--and also, I get bored and like to change everything around about every five minutes-- so Michelle and I cooked up another vat of indigo and without any hesitation, I dunked it.  Oh goodness, I love it.  Its the color of blue jeans [obviously] and I think it will fade in kind of a gorgeous blue jeans way [also obviously] and I can hardly wait to watch that happen.  I love that old-blue-jeans-grayish color.  I await that, and also all the other fading iterations of indigo blue this slipcover will undergo.  They are all good.  Indigo dyeing is so much fun.  Everything white that isn't nailed down suddenly looks like a good candidate to be indigo.  I still have the other slipcover, which is still white (for now, for now...) and so will probably alternate them, which should keep me entertained for awhile.  
 
With summertime comes another of my favorite things.  An Open Window, aaahhhh. There's almost nothing better than an open window.  It's really true.  I sit all day beside one open window or another, knitting and drinking coffee, reading and knitting and drinking coffee.  The warm wind blows across the orchards and ruffles the pages of my book, and I can smell dirt and rain and lilies.  The cardinals in the yard say, "Burrito, burrito, burrito!"  I am a summer flower, no doubt about it.  I am also a pragmatic Northerner, though, and I always remember that our summers here are fleeting and that soon (sob), sooner than you would believe, it will be cold again.  So I knit things like this:
This is Basic No. 2, my own top-down, worsted-weight, 5 sts/inch turtleneck pattern, knit this time with a Camaro-inspired rainbow palette across the body and sleeves.  Those stripes!  Bliss.  I feel like this is something I would have worn in 1978, while watching Starsky and Hutch [speaking of which, hoo!  That show was so full of handknits.] I feel like my first boyfriend Bobby from next door had this shirt.  It makes me think of the Brady Bunch and my Huffy ten-speed bike and spending entire fall Saturdays reading comic books.  Next time I'm gonna lower the stripes about two inches, which will make it totally perfect, but this one is nearly there.  The collar is huge.  Ultra.  Mega.  It's 11 1/2" tall, meant to be folded over for a double-thick, no kidding, all-the-way-warm turtleneck.  My neck is pretty long and I am always wishing for more collar on a sweater like this.  It looks a little bit like a neck brace, but I'm telling you, when the wind is howling (just a few months, friends) I will be enjoying that super tall, ultra mega collar very, very much.  Developing these sweater template patterns that are just right for me has been the most rewarding project I can remember.  

7 comments:

  1. My goodness your catdog looks like it could be a sibling of my dog Apache, down to the black rimmed lips. :) Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I like that sofa in his new color! And the cosy sweater...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our dogs have such a good life, mine is curled up in a chair as I write this. Love the sweater, stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love the really long collar! And the 70s. In the 80s I didn't want to have anything to do with them, yet now I look at them so fondly. It's lovely to see dear Catdog. So relaxed, except for that one ear on the alert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your sweaters. Always fun to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the indigo color and dear cat dog....and your sweaters are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That blue of the couch is just gorgeous! In fact the whole photo just screams "SUMMER!!!" at me! Living even further north (Inverness is about the same latitude as Juneau AL) I totally hear you about the brevity of warm days and the urge to knit sweaters. Your latest is gorgeous <3 I think we must be of a similar age because I was right there with you in the memories! That is definitely one of the joys of knitting your own clothes, you get to make them just the way you want them, longer neck/sleeves/whatever... I am just starting to deviate from patterns and hope one day to have the skills to develop my own templates - once again you have inspired me! Have a lovely week,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete