Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Woollen

At the moment, there is this.  It is so pretty I can't stop looking at it.  I was just about to say that this yarn is nothing like me, what is this speckle stuff?  Purple???  but I had four skeins of it in the stash, so apparently this yarn is exactly like me.  I fell for it like I always do, just picking up a beautiful skein here and there, with no solid plan in mind, maybe with vague, long-range notions of making a Find Your Fade (all the finished projects, you guys.  I am under the spell.). But I guess I just couldn't wait any longer to see what it would do when I knit with it, and now I see, and hoo!  It is good.  The pattern I'm working with is Bulb by Veera Valimaki.  I love that loose, comfy, tunic shape with the floppy neck.  I couldn't even get close to gauge, no matter what needle or which size I chose, so Doc reworked all the math for me (oh, the blessings of having a Doc around the house! There's really nothing he isn't good at) and have been using Andrea's fade strategy to blend the different skeins where they meet each other.  I don't know what I'm going to end up with, but working on this has been so lovely already, it is almost beside the point.  Right now it is just a lap full of happy rainbows.  
Here's something more familiar:  this is Shadow by Olga Buraya Kefelian, in the very soft and natural "Fleece" by West Yorkshire Spinners.  Neutral.  Whew.  This is one I really want to wear; wooly, heathery goodness.  Those smooshy cables.  I've said this many times before, but there really is room for both color and gray in my knitting life, and possibly in my wardrobe as well.  As I age and my hair turns more and more white, I am more and more inclined to wear only black every day forever, and honestly, the only thing that holds me back is how boring that would be for my knitting.  Well, my hair isn't all the way white yet.  
I am still carding the Super Pale Grey Border Leicester/Finn fleece from September's fiber festival.  There is only one small handful left to do, and then I will start spinning it.  Oh my goodness, I can hardly wait.  I am still such a total amateur at all of this, and these little mini batts/rolags/fauxlags I'm making on two old dog brushes are pretty full of imperfections; stray pieces of hay and uncombed blobs that will sneak past me and make their way intact into the yarn, and it will surely be far less than perfect, but I am not concerning myself with that right now.  If I want perfect yarn, I can go buy it.  This process--the sorting, the washing, the carding, the general handling and sniffing and cuddling of all this fleece; it has been so lovely.  I am intimately acquainted with it now.  We know each other.  It is soft and clean and light as air.  I am so looking forward to the next part of this project, and the next, and the next.  
Some parts of it are perfect little crinkly locks, some parts of it are longer and fluffier, like a Santa Claus beard.  Some of it is pure white, and some is caramel, and some is dove gray, and some is warm and buttery yellow.  I can't wait to see what kind of yarn it becomes.  
On Sunday, Doc and I will be at Rhinebeck, and part of what I think will be fun about this festival is seeing all the other makers in their most beautiful handmades, and meeting other like-minded souls.  I can't wait to see your sweater/shawl/cowl/mittens/hat and I want to hear all about them.  I will be wearing this cardigan.  There has been much talk out there about how warm it will be over the weekend, but believe me when I tell you that at 72 degrees F, I will still be able to wear a sweater.  I am almost never, ever, EVER too warm.  Doc, however, does not share my reptilian blood and has decided to forego his sweater this year, and I don't blame him a bit. [Also, whew!  It will give me a chance to properly fix that mess.] He will wear a kilt, and his Toirneach hose, though, and will be looking fierece, as always.  If you are there on Sunday and you spot us, please come over and say hello?  Look for a mustached warrior in a kilt and a girl with glasses and Wensleydale hair who probably has kettle corn stuck to her face.  I'd really, really like to meet you.  

12 comments:

  1. Have a fab time in your cardigan. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, your woolly ingredients are the perfect recipe for a fascinating post. I bow to your husband's enthusiasm for sporting his kilt. Pics are obligatory!It's also so nice of you to invite people to meet and greet you. I've tried on two different occasions at Edinburgh Yarn Festival to meet my knitterati heroes but unfortunately they were always too busy. Hey ho! Enjoy Rhinebeck. (Have you heard of Ysolda Teague?She's a knitwear designer who lives in Edinburgh and who has published a book of Rhinebeck sweaters.I think you would like her style).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I adore Ysolda's style! So many of her designs are in my Rav queue. There is a Strokkur in my future. I hope she'll be there on Sunday--I'm hoping to just boldly walk right up to her and tell her she's wonderful. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Have a lovely time at rhinebeck. Your cardi looks lovely and warm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think I've made a comment on the wrong post about this beautiful cardigan! It reminds me so much of one that the wonderful Kate Davies made for her own wedding. I don't know if you are familiar with Kate Davies, but she is such a talented designer, and her husband takes amazing photographs of the areas around their home in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, yes, I remember Kate's wedding cardi! What a gorgeous design that is. :)

      Delete
  5. Have fun at Rhinebeck wearing your beautiful cardi! The picture of that giant pile of fleece continues to amaze me. Can't wait to see what becomes of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such pretty makes :). I'm all about the speckled yarn lately. Enjoy Rheinbeck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. enjoy the day at rheinbeck!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I wish I could be going to Reinbeck! 'Maybe next year' is what I always tell myself. Have a wonderful time! I can't wait to see pictures from it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All lovely! I am intrigued by your speckled yarn though as the link has been blocked for me by web safe. The naughty possibilities are fun to imagine, though perhaps they're just stopping me from spending da cash...

    ReplyDelete